This coming Wednesday, the third season of the Syfy fantasy drama The Magicians will air its season premiere.
When last we were with the budding Brakebills students and reigning kings and queens of the magical world of Fillory, their worlds were in turmoil.
• Eliot and Margo were dealing with the impending occupation of Fillory by the fairies and the latter was also dealing with losing one of her eyes;
• Alice returned to being a human, but was also dealing with the fact that the lamprey – an enemy she made while she was a niffin – was tracking her down in a revenge attempt;
• Penny learned he was dying of “cancer plus” – with only a few weeks left to live – and was unable to get out of his contract at the Library;
• Kady – in an attempt to free Penny from his contract so they could spent what time he has left in paradise – made a deal with Harriet [guest star Marlee Matlin], a fellow magician who runs a media company that is much more than it seems – but has her own ulterior motive;
• Quentin killed Ember, the God of Fillory, which brought about the end of magic; and,
• Julia, with her shade intact, and finally coming back from all her horrible experiences of last season, is the only one left with magic – albeit a very limited “bit” of power.
The season premiere will focus on Quentin trying to find someone who can bring magic back; Julia explores her small, but significant gift; Eliot and Margo struggle under the hostile fairy occupation and Kady searches for a way to heal Penny.
Without giving too much away where the events of the season premiere are concerned, viewers should be aware that Eliot and Margo are their wonderful, snarky selves while dealing with the Fairy Queen and her minions who are on the loose inside the castle of Fillory.
Julia and Quentin are attempting to figure out how to get magic back into the world while Dean Fogg (recurring star Rick Worthy) will be visited by a Brakebills Board of Trustees member [new, recurring guest star Jaime Ray Newman], who warns him what the Board will do if magic isn’t returned.
Viewers will [or at least should] absolutely LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the priceless exchange of words between Margo and Eliot that is so laden with pop culture references that subtitles are required. I counted at least 8 different franchises included in their coded messages to each other.
And, actor Faran Tahir (known for his work on 12 Monkeys, Warehouse 13 among countless others) will be featured in a very colorful role – a glimpse of which you can see in two of the promo pictures from the season premiere featured below.
Once you’ve checked out the episode, please share your thoughts with us in our comments section below. The season premiere of The Magicians will air on Syfy on Wednesday, January 10 at 9/8c.