Ah, summer! Hot sunny days, warm nights, and most of your favorite shows on hiatus until fall. You know what that means – binge time! The chance to watch absurd amounts of shows that you missed the first time around or want to rewatch without getting behind on your current shows. Your neighbors won’t *really* care that you haven’t mowed the lawn in two weeks or that your recycling bin has been on the curb for 3 days, we promise!
With all of that in mind, here’s our recommended Fairy Tale summer binge list:
1. Grimm – now that the show is over for good, no better time for a rewatch from the beginning! Starting from the pilot, you have 123 hours of folklore procedural to look forward to as you watch Nick Burkhardt (David Giuntoli) learn and embrace his destiny. If it’s the second time around for you, consider focusing on how much Adalind changes from the pilot to the finale. Or watch it all from Juliette’s perspective. Grimm seasons 1-5 can be streamed for free through Amazon Prime. Season 6 can be purchased for streaming or on DVD or BluRay.
2. Galavant – This “medieval music comedy” ran for 2 seasons on ABC. Which means we have 18 half-hour episodes of delightful satire and catchy original songs as well as parodies of well-known show tunes. Starring Joshua Sasse as the titular character, Galavant tells his story of love, loss, and chivalry complete with unicorns, baby “dragons”, swashbuckling land pirates, and Princess Bride references. Both seasons are streaming on Netflix.
3. Once Upon a Time – before next season time jumps 10 years and dispenses with many original characters, you can go back to how it all began! Review when Emma first arrived in Storybrooke, how Charming and Snow met, and why you’ve hated Rumpel for so many seasons (don’t trust him!!!). Five seasons are streaming on Netflix.
4. The Magicians – this gem is only wrapping up its second season, but it’s worth a view. Based on a novel by Lev Grossman, the show centers on a Quentin Coldwater (Jason Ralph), a nerdy, emotionally unstable college grad who enrolls in a graduate program at Brakebills School for Magical Pedagogy – basically a sexier, more modern take on Hogwarts with fraternity-like organizations and all the expected associated behavior that goes with them. Season 1 is available on Netflix.
5. Emerald City – if you missed it this winter, NBC’s re-imagining of the Wizard of Oz was filled with breathtaking scenery and some interesting twists on the traditional tale. After arriving in Oz in a police car carried by a tornado, Dorothy Gale (Adria Ajorna) soon finds herself in the middle of a war between Glinda, the “Good Witch” (Joely Richardson) and the Wizard (Vincent D’Onofrio). While it was not renewed for a second season, you can watch the 10-episode first season at NBC.com.
Do you have other ideas for a summer binge? Let us know in the comments!